Recipe: Herbed Summer Squash and Potato Torte with Parmesan
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 12 ounces yellow crookneck squash, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- olive oil in your Evo Oil Sprayer
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans. Set aside 1/4 cup sliced green onions. Toss remaining green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
Layer 1/6 of potatoes in concentric circles in bottom of 1 prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/4 of squash in concentric circles atop potatoes. Spritz with oil to coat. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Repeat with 1/6 of potatoes, then 1/4 of squash and spritz with more oil to coat. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Top with 1/6 of potatoes. Spritz with oil to coat. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture and press gently to flatten. Repeat procedure with second cake pan and remaining potatoes, squash, oil, and cheese mixture.
Cover pans with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cool. Cover with foil and chill. Rewarm, covered with foil, in 350°F oven until heated through, about 30 minutes.)
Cut each torte into wedges. Sprinkle wedges with 1/4 cup green onions; serve.