Recipe: Buttermilk-Brined Chicken Breast Salad
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Chicken & Salad
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- extra-virgin olive oil in your Evo Oil Sprayer
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano and/or thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- To prepare buttermilk brine: Combine buttermilk, sugar, shallots, 4 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- To marinate chicken: Place chicken in a sealable gallon-size plastic bag. Pour in the brine mixture, seal and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
- To prepare chicken: Remove the chicken from the brine (discard the brine) and pat dry with paper towels. Spritz oil all over the chicken using your Evo Oil Sprayer and let stand at room temperature for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a grill to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Spritz the grill rack with oil using your Evo Oil Sprayer. Grill the chicken with the lid closed, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chicken registers 165°F, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Remove to a clean cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- To prepare salad: In your Evo Oil Sprayer, combing approximately 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, 1 teaspoon oregano (and/or thyme), 1 teaspoon garlic, Dijon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and shake to combine. Add greens to a bowl and spritz with the vinaigrette. Divide salad among 4 plates and top each with sliced chicken.