Recipe: French Onion Dip Burgers
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 onions, 4 thinly sliced and 1 peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup beef consomme
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- About 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil in your Evo Oil Sprayer
- 6 brioche buns, split
- 36 good-quality ridged or thick-cut potato chips
- Sliced sweet pickles
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and bay leaf; season with salt, pepper and the thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until deep caramel and very soft, 35 minutes. Deglaze with the beef consomme; cook until all the liquid is almost absorbed. Let cool, then discard the bay leaf. Stir in the sour cream.
- Preheat a griddle or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season the beef with the worcestershire, salt (for a crusty coating) and pepper. Using a box grater, grate 3 to 4 tbsp. of the peeled onion over the meat (this flavors the meat and keeps the burgers moist). Add the parsley. Mix the meat (dont overwork) and form 6 patties thinner at the center than at the edges. Spritz with extra virgin olive oil using your Evo Oil Sprayer. Cook, turning once, for 6 to 8 minutes for pink centers.
- Serve the burgers on the buns, topped with the sauce, potato chips and pickles.