Recipe: White Chocolate Peppermint Cookie with Vanilla Salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp crushed peppermint candies (or candy canes)
- your choice of oil in your Evo Oil Sprayer
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer on medium speed, until light in color and texture, 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well to combine. Again, stop the machine and scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until streaks of flour still run throughout. Add the chocolate and peppermint candies then mix until everything just comes together. Finish the dough by hand, taking care to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- At this point, it is best to refrigerate the dough for 24 hours. Resting the dough intensifies the deep toffee flavors, and the texture of the baked cookie improves.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 360° F. Spritz two baking sheets with oil to coat. Scoop the dough onto the baking sheets. Top the cookies with a pinch of vanilla salt just before baking.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Rotate the sheets halfway through if the cookies appear to be baking unevenly. The cookies should be lightly golden on the outside but still look quite gooey on the inside. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for at least 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.