Recipe: Salmon Cakes with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 lb. salmon, skin removed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 1/3rd cup panko breadcrumbs*
- 1 1/2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 small shallot, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. whole fennel seeds, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt (or 1/4 tsp. sea salt)
- 1/8th tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 TBSP dijon mustard
- olive oil in your Evo Oil Sprayer
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1/8th cup tarragon vinegar
- 1 tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp honey, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp dijon mustard, to taste
- 1/2-3/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Mixed greens
- Fresh sliced avocado
- Any other veggies you like
- Poach the salmon: In a shallow skillet or saute pan, bring the water and juice of a lemon to a boil. Once boiling, add your salmon and cover (if your pan doesn’t have a lid, use a sheet of parchment or aluminum foil). Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 6-8 minutes or until the salmon is opaque and flaky all the way through. The time will vary depending on how thick your fish is, so check the doneness by flaking the salmon with a fork. Remove the salmon from the cooking liquid and set aside to cool a little while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, flour, bell pepper, shallot, parsley, chopped fennel seeds, lemon zest, salt, and cayenne.
- Add the salmon to the bowl and break it apart with a fork. Add the dijon mustard and egg, and stir everything to combine.
- Form the mixture into patties. Take a handful and squeeze into a ball, then shape it into a disc – the patty should just barely hold together. If the mixture is too flaky to hold together, add another 1/2 tbsp flour. I like to make small patties, about 1/2 cup each, and make two per serving.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high and spritz with oil to coat generously. Seer the patties for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Serve over mixed greens with slices of avocado and a drizzle of vinaigrette.
- For the vinaigrette: Add all vinaigrette ingredients to your Evo Oil Sprayer and shake vigorously to incorporate.