Recipe: Rustic Chicken with Garlic Gravy
- your choice of cooking oil in your Evo Oil Sprayer
- 6-8 chicken thighs, skin on (could use any skin-on chicken pieces)
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 20-22 cloves of garlic (2 full heads), separated and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or about 3/4 tsp. dried leaves)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Heat the oven to 400° F with rack in center of oven.
- Spritz a Dutch oven (or other large, oven-safe skillet with a lid) with oil to coat and then heat the over medium high heat. Dry the chicken pieces well by patting them with a paper towel. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with a bit of salt and the pepper. Cook the chicken until well browned, turning regularly, for about 8 minutes in all then remove chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, and cook, stirring regularly, until it is starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the garlic and stir until combined. Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and bake for 15 minutes in the pre-heated 400° oven. (If you pot or skillet doesn’t have a lid, you can tightly cover the top with tin-foil instead.)
- Remove the pot from the oven and put it on a burner. Be careful not to touch the hot pot! Remove the chicken pieces from the pot to a clean plate. Over medium-high heat, whisk in the wine and simmer for 1 minute. Whisk in the broth, thyme and a bit more salt and pepper, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring regularly, until sauce thickens. Turn the heat off and stir in the butter. Taste sauce and add more salt and pepper, if it needs it. Add the chicken back to the pot to re-warm with the sauce. Serve spooned over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.